The history of the Anglican Church in Hong Kong and Macau dates back to the mid-nineteenth century. The first colonial chaplain was appointed in 1843, and the Diocese of Victoria was established in 1849. Meanwhile, the Church Missionary Society began work among the local Chinese populace, in Hong Kong and South China. Thus, the Bishop of Victoria became as well the Bishop of the larger Kong Yuet (South China) Diocese. In 1912, this became a diocese of the Chung Hua Sheng Kung Hui (“Holy Catholic Church of China”), the first national church organization in China. In 1951, following the establishment of the People’s Republic of China, the Diocese of Hong Kong and Macao became a detached diocese, which did not belong to any Province. In 1998 the Province of Hong Kong Sheng Kung Hui (consisting of the Diocese of Hong Kong Island, the Diocese of Eastern Kowloon, the Diocese of Western Kowloon, and the Missionary Area of Macau) was established. The Most Revd Peter Kwong was elected the first Archbishop and Primate of the Province. He retired on 1st January 2007.