The Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia

Geographical Area: 270,500 Sq Km

Population: 5,700,000

www.anglican.org.nz

Primates

Pihopa o Aotearora and Primate and Archbishop of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia
The Most Revd William Brown Turei
Bishop of Polynesia and Primate and Archbishop of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia
The Most Revd Dr Winston Halapua
Bishop of of Waikato and Taranaki and Senior Bishop of New Zealand Dioceses and Primate and Archbishop of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand and Polynesia
The Most Revd Philip Richardson

History

The name of the Church in Maori is, ‘Te Hahi Mihinare ki Aotearoa ki Niu Tireni, ki Nga Moutere o Te Moana Nui a Kiwa.’

Formerly known as the Church of the Province of New Zealand, the Church covers 270,500 sq km (plus 11,000,000 sq kms for Diocese of Polynesia) and includes the countries of New Zealand, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and the Cook Islands. It was established as an autonomous Church in 1857.

A revised constitution adopted in 1992 reflects a commitment to bicultural development that allows freedom and responsibility to implement worship and mission in accordance with the culture and social conditions of the Maori, Pakeha and Polynesian membership. The Church has a strong and effective board of missions.

Provincial Secretary Login